October 20, 2010

Drunk on Hope...

There's a line in a Rascal Flatts song called "Once" that really got me thinking: "Now I wait...drunk on hope." 

It's such a good way to put it. I really do think we get "drunk" on hope sometimes. I'm guilty of it. I think we all are. We get to the point when we hope for something so bad that we can barely even think clearly anymore. We lose sight of what is important. We refuse to see things how they really are because our own opinions blur reality.

I'm taking a Marriage and Family Prep class this semester for my major.  For our reading assignment yesterday we were asked to read a talk by Richard G. Scott called: "Using the Supernal Gift of Prayer." It's incredible. A must read. It really touched me. It made me realize that I need to stop being "drunk on hope" and instead be drunk on faith. The only problem is that sometimes that is really hard. And it's probably the reason why my mom jokes and refers to faith as the “f-word.” :) But like Elder Scott says, we should "be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. Your character will grow; and your faith will increase."

1 comment:

  1. Faith is the f-word during the struggle. But in the end,it becomes knowledge and measurable growth. Sometimes we hope for things that are good, but its not always what's best for us. If we're teachable, faith will sift through the good, the better and identify the best in our personal lives. It's tough but its always worth it! Trust me, its the story of my life. Ha!

    ReplyDelete