April 24, 2012

Let us be faithful to him!

Family and Friends,

We had some pretty neat experiences this week. I received an email from my mission president last week, challenging me to try to go by all of the less active members in our ward boundaries. We decided to really make this happen, and we were able to pass by about half of them! One day we went to the house of a guy named F. He came to the door and we quickly learned that he is both deaf and dumb. But we totally had a conversation with him! For about 20 minutes! It was awesome!! Something happened awhile ago that caused him to lose all of his hearing. However, since he was able to speak before the accident, he moved his lips the whole time like he was really talking. Between reading his lips and his "extremely dramatic Argentine body language," we were able to know what he was saying. It was incredible!

Hermana Jensen and I both walked away thinking: We just had a conversation with a man in a foreign language, without sound! If that's not proof of the gift of tongues, I don't know what is!

It brought back lots of memories of my first few weeks here in Argentina when I didn't understand hardly anything people were saying to me. It was almost like I was just watching their body language just like we were with F! Now I'm having conversations with people that can't even speak vocally. Crazy.

It was great because F was able to explain to us that he wants to go to church, he just needs a ride. He gave us his number and told us we can have members text him if they need to communicate with him. We're hoping to help re-activate him and many other less actives. Time will tell!

By passing by less actives we were also able to find a new investigator: N! (A daughter of a less-active). She wasn't able to go to church yesterday, yet we have a lot of faith in her.

The bad news is that O wasn't at church yesterday. He was supposed to receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost yesterday too! We're pretty worried. We have no idea what happened, and no way of contacting him because he doesn't have a phone number, and he just moved into a house that is just outside of our area. His testimony is so strong, and he has so many desires to do what the Lord wants, so hopefully we'll be able to track him down tonight and figure out what happened.

I'm getting to the point when I can read anywhere in the scriptures and pretty much have a good idea of what it's saying. I can speak Castellano! Crazy! This week I read this scripture during one of my personal studies and really liked it:

1 Nephi 7:
 12 Yea, and how is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things according to his will, for the children of men, if it so be that they exercise faith in him? Wherefore, let us be faithful to him.

Faith is truly the power. When we have faith we can do anything! Faith gives us the power to change. Faith gives us to the power to change our desires and overcome any challenge. :)

I love my mission. It's one of the best decisions I have made. I am so grateful to be able to be a missionary and to share the gospel to my brothers and sisters in Argentina.

I love you all. Hope you're doing well!

-Hermana Vawdrey

Orlando's registro. It's official! Okay, almost.
He still needs to receive the Holy Ghost for it to be complete.

A view of the OCEAN from our kitchen window.


Hna Jensen, I.M., and me. I.M. is a convert we visit every other Saturday.

He is so cool! He was a professional tango dancer "back in the day"!


El Centro

We had to go downtown to pay a bill.

It was so fun to see the big city!

No comments:

Post a Comment